Healthy Treats: Wholemeal Banana And Walnut Muffins
Most mornings for breakfast, I opt for a healthy homemade green smoothie but today, for some very strange reason I was craving banana bread. As I've recently got the baking bug - and it's Friday - I thought I'd treat myself and make some :)
I'm a massive foodie but I'm also very health-conscious, so I decided to give my banana treats a nutritious twist by using whole wheat flour, porridge oats, coconut oil and honey. This recipe is really easy to follow and makes banana muffins that are so delicious and satisfying that you won't want to start your day any other way!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
For the muffins:
175g of whole wheat flour
50g of porridge oats
75g of melted coconut oil
50g of honey
150g mashed ripe banana
100ml milk of your choice
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon caster sugar (for dusting)
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the cream cheese topping:
150g of cream cheese
50g of unsalted butter
150g of sifted icing sugar
Walnuts and cinnamon for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (gas mark 3). If necessary, grease your muffin tin with butter.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the coconut oil and honey together, then add the eggs and beat well. In a separate bowl, mash the ripe bananas and milk, adding the bicarbonate of soda, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt.
3. Add the mashed banana mixture to the coconut oil and honey and mix well. Then add the flour and oats and mix with a large spoon.
4. Finely chop 50g of walnuts (or nuts / chocolate / dried fruit of your choice) and fold them into the mixture. Optional
5. Spoon the mixture evenly between the 12 muffin cups, filling each cup to about 2/3 full. Lightly sprinkle the spoonful of caster sugar over the tops of the muffins.
6. Bake for 23-25 minutes. Check the muffins are fully cooked by inserting a skewer in the centre - if it comes out clean, they're done.
7. Place the muffins on a cooling rack until they are completely cool.
8. To make the cream cheese frosting, beat the icing sugar and butter together until completely mixed.
9. Add the cream cheese and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
10. Spoon onto the tops of each muffin and spread evenly. Sprinkle cinnamon on top and add a walnut.
11. Eat and enjoy!